“You don’t need a new day to start over, you
only need a new mindset.” — Hazel Hira Ozbek
What does it take to create a mindset for success as an Entrepreneur? A woman may be told, “Change your mindset and you’ll see it differently.” That may be true. At the same time she may be wondering, “How do I change my mindset?” or, “I don’t even know what mindset is and how it affects me. How can I change it?”
What is Mindset?
According to Free Dictionary, mindset is:
1) A fixed mental attitude or disposition that predetermines a person’s responses to and interpretations of situations.
2) An inclination or a habit.
Seems pretty uncomplicated, doesn’t it? In theory it sounds simple, but in practical terms, not so much.
Mindset is a set of beliefs that you’ve acquired or cultivated consciously or unconsciously over a period of time. These are based on things like your values, your culture, things you were taught or told repeatedly so that they become a part of who you are.
Shifting to a Mindset for Success
Just as anything else that has become a bad habit takes time to change, if you identify areas that your mindset is sabotaging your success as an entrepreneur or small business owner, it will take work and time. You can, however, get a jumpstart on the process by shifting your paradigm into a mindset for success. Here are seven ways to do that:
- Know yourself: Know what your weak areas are. Be aware of your trigger points or buttons that cause you to fall back into a negative mindset. If it’s people, try to avoid or spend less time with toxic or negative people. These are the people who LOVE to tell you what you can and cannot do. They enjoy trampling on your dreams even before you have a chance to see if they will become a reality.
- Change your perception of challenges and obstacles: Each of us has the capacity to view a ‘rock’ in the middle of the road of life as a challenge or an opportunity. We can view that ‘rock’ as a stumbling block or a stepping stone. The choice is ours. Focus on the rewards that will be even sweeter for having overcome what may initially have appeared to be insurmountable challenges.
- View seeming failure as learning opportunities: There will be times when you experience failure. Avoid viewing them from a defeatist perspective. Work at crushing them, learning from them and coming back even stronger.
- Do not let others define your success: There are people who always see the glass as half empty and in line with that they think they have the right to determine how far you should go or how low you should stay. Their favorite sayings are, “Everybody is already doing it.” “What gives you the right to think you could be a success at that?” “Don’t hang your hat higher than where you hand can reach.” “Don’t set yourself up for a fall.”
Without even giving you the opportunity to start, they’ve already rained on your parade or even trampled on your dreams. This is closely tied in to #1. If you can’t keep away from negative people altogether, limit your association with them. Surround yourself with positive people, people who believe in you and who want to see you succeed. People who see in you even more than you see in yourself.
- Invest in yourself: In order to achieve more, it’s important to invest in yourself. This may be in taking online or offline courses to improve your overall skills and your skills in the particular industry you want to grow your business. Another important investment is working with a mentor or coach who is where you want to be who can guide you and hold you accountable. You want to start with investing in your mind; change your thoughts, or perhaps just learn to protect your thoughts so you keep them positive.
- Act as if you’ve already won or reached the goal: Making the decision is a huge step in the right direction. Don’t just ‘fake it til you make it.’ Acquire the skills and knowledge so that even if you’ve not had one client yet, no one will know because you exude confidence and certainty. You will be empowering yourself to take the next step and take along others with you. What you don’t know, you don’t mislead. You’re honest about it. Tell people you don’t know then find out from those who are ahead of you on the ladder of success. Be enthusiastic, as your enthusiasm will be contagious and people will be attracted to you.
- Pursue your passion: It may not always be possible to pursue your passion to the extent that you want to right away. Find ways to incorporate your passion in your life so that it can act as a buffer to any situations you encounter at this time. Do something that you enjoy, that excites you to get up every morning and where it does not feel like work because you enjoy it so much.
Remember that “Your attitude (or mindset) affects your altitude.” To the extent that you’re willing to cultivate a positive attitude, minimize the impact of negative influences on your life, and face challenges and your business enthusiastically, you will experience success as an entrepreneur.
What is holding you back from experiencing success as an entrepreneur? Is it fear of success or fear of failure? Do you get tired of doing what brings you no joy but you’re afraid to take the leap into doing what you love? I’ve been there and would love to have a conversation with you. Go to http://bit.ly/bookwithyvonne and schedule your time to talk or send me a message through my Contact form: http://YvonneAJones.com/Contact-me.