What is your big WHY? By itself this is a broad question because each of us may have a different WHY for various areas in our life. Let’s focus on your business. What’s your WHY for being in business? What keeps you motivated and helps you to get out of bed each morning and do it again?
Why is understanding your WHY critical?
Clearly understanding your WHY is critical to your progress and success because this is what it going to keep you going when you have set-backs and disappointments in your business. If you are a Coach, Consultant, Information Marketer, Solopreneur, etc. some common disappointments could include:
- You did your market research by surveying your ideal clients who told you they had a specific problem.
- You are an expert on solving that problem, or you learned everything you could then developed a program to solve that problem, but no one bought it.
- You planned a live workshop or other live event and only a mere fraction of people who said they were interested actually signed up and attended.
- You scheduled a webinar and lots of people signed up but only one person attended, or worse, there was no one on the call.
- Or you sell products. You studied which products are “hot” right now and stocked your shelves or increased your inventory…but none of your customers seem to be interested.
How will you react to each of these situations? Will you throw in the towel and say that ‘you can’t do this anymore; it’s just too hard.’ You could, and understandably you may be tempted. But it’s your WHY that’s going to allow you to pick up the pieces and go on.
Sir Winston Churchill said, “Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm.” But that enthusiasm has to be fed by the reasons that you clearly have identified, including having a vision and specific goals to achieve that vision so that you’re willing to go from failure to failure until you succeed.
Is this an easy process? No. You may have to dig down real deep to uncover the true reason why you are in business and why you stay in business. It’s an exercise that’s worth the time and effort. Think of it as peeling off the layers on an onion.
Example of getting to your real WHY. This involves asking yourself a lot of why’s:
- To be in business for myself
- So I can provide for my family and myself and pay my bills on time
- So I can schedule my hours and enjoy flexibility
- So I can home-school my children or attend their school events
When you finally get to the ‘heart of the onion’ you’ll have a clear picture of your WHY and this is what will keep you going when the going is almost impossible.
Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help with man with the wrong mental attitude. – W.W. Ziege. Discovering your WHY and with the ‘right mental attitude’ you will achieve your goals in your business.
Yvonne A Jones supports small business owners and highly motivated entrepreneurs to improve their bottomline with online marketing strategies and building strong customer relationships that deliver real results. Contact her at http://YvonneAJones.com/contactme or complete the Quiz on the Home Page to schedule a complimentary Business Breakthrough session.