What is the one question that children all over the world ask a LOT? What is the one question that parents and other adults often find frustrating because every answer elicits another question? The answer is WHY! Children are naturally curious. They have a thirst for learning and they want explanations for things they don’t understand. So they ask WHY.
Unfortunately as they get older, they are either told to stop asking so many questions, or they begin to take everything for granted, or they just get caught up in the business of living…and stop asking why. They douse their curiosity and many no longer seek for deep answers.
In my role as a Business Mentor and Coach I’ve found that many entrepreneurs and small business owners don’t take the time to ask themselves this question. Many simply respond that they’re in business to make money. There is nothing wrong with that as you need money and having money allows you to have choices. But money alone cannot be your main reason for being in business for yourself. You could make money as an employee. You are a business owner! Why?
Arriving at your why takes time; it takes self-reflection and introspection. You may need to dig deep to find out the real reasons why you’re in business.
Why that is so important?
- Your WHY has to be big enough to act as a motivator to keep you going
- When things don’t go as planned and you’re knocked down, your Why is what will cause you to pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and start again, if necessary
- Your why is what will keep you working a couple more hours when you just want to relax and watch TV or hang out with friends; it’s what will cause you to keep just one more appointment when you really don’t feel like talking to anyone.
Some Examples of Other People’s Why
- …so I can have more time and freedom to spend with my family
- …so I can pay for my child’s college and avoid crippling Student Loans
- …so I can take care of my child myself while making an income from home
- …so I can have a business that works even when I’m having fun on vacation
Remember, “It doesn’t matter what you do; it matters why you do it,” Simon Sinek, author of “Start With Why.”
You may need to brainstorm some ideas in order to identify your BIG WHY. I would love to help you get clarity in a FREE “Ignite Your Business” Breakthrough Strategy Session. Visit http://YvonneAJones.com, scroll down to the bottom and click the big blue button to start the process. I will contact you within four hours to schedule your complimentary 45-minute coaching session with me.
Thanks for reading and see you on the other side. 🙂